Dear Friends, I hope you had a blessed and holy Easter and that now you're enjoying a beautiful Spring!. The students and staff here at Holy Cross definitely appreciated their two week Easter vacation. Many thanks to the volunteer team from St. Michael's, Raleigh, NC who provided a terrific Holy Week VBS to over 60 of our little ones and a Good Friday service for us all.
As always things are very busy at Holy Cross. To mention just a few....
* Our Standard VI students have taken the first part of their Primary School Exam (PSE) - Language Arts and Science. On May 4th they will take the second part - Math and Social Studies. Please send a few extra prayers their way. I hope Holy Cross will soon lead the nation of Belize in passing rate - a lofty goal but I pray for 100%!
* A class from Holy Cross recently won the Hol Chal Marine Reserve Slogan and Poster contest! Their slogan, "Save the Reef Today; Tomorrow Might be too Late!" will be the official theme of Reef Week and earned the students a free trip to the Reserve.
* Construction is proceeding on the new, state-of-the-art composting toilet system (please see the attached photos). We are all counting the days until it is finished!!! It will be the greenest school toilet system in the nation with 24 toilets, 10 urinals, 4 teacher bathrooms and 8 sinks - yea! Many thanks to the Episcopal Church Women and their United Thank Offering grant.
* We continue to be blessed with the presence of Deacon Jan Lamb from St. Luke's, Durham, NC. Deacon Jan has been such a wonderful addition to the staff assisting with Chapel, teaching Religious Education, preparing our FIRST Confirmation class(!!), counseling students and teaching math - wow! We will certainly miss her when she leaves in June.
* And speaking of Confirmation...Bishop Wright will be with us on Sunday, May 30th for Baptisms and Confirmation. We are soooooo excited!
* We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of a volunteer team from Vancouver Island University. These folks will be working with the teachers on classroom management, lesson preparation and presentation.
Holy Cross is definitely an exciting place to be! Thanks to your continuing support we hope it always will be - smile. Please take a few moments today to send your prayers and a financial contribution to the school. We are committed to providing the Feeding Program (costs $500US per day!), maintaining the Computer Center (electricity for the air conditioning costs $2,000US per month!), staffing the Library (salary of $400US per month!) and the thousand and one other things that seem to cost tons of money. Please, please, please, the students of Holy Cross need YOUR help!
Checks payable to "Holy Cross Anglican School" should be sent to:
Holy Cross Anglican School
San Pedro Town
Ambergris Caye, Belize
OR, you may make your donation through "Click and Pay" on the school web site: www.holycrossbelize.org
OR, through the Holy Cross Education Foundation; 7550 Corporate Way; Eden Prarie, MN 55344
Many thanks and blessings, Francis
Labels: Miss Francis